In my town of 40,000 here in Ukraine many of my friends have their own gardens, and in the summer they generally have more vegetables than they know what to do with. I have been enjoying the benefits of this, especially in the form of zucchinis. For the last month or so I have been blessed with an average of 1-2 zucchinis weighing 1-2lb each per week. With such an abundance of zucchini I have had the opportunity to try out a lot of zucchini recipes, so here are a few of my favorites:
Zucchini pancakes: I like to try out new and "exotic" pancake recipes, and this is one of the best I've ever tried. I've made them twice, and both times I had an apple or two I wanted to use up, so I replaced about 1/3 of the zucchini called for in the recipe with grated apple, with very delicious results. I also recommend adding a handful of finely-chopped toasted walnuts.
Zucchini pizza casserole: Kind of like a crustless zucchini quiche with spaghetti sauce on top.
Pasta salad with tomatoes, zucchini, and feta: I've added chicken, chickpeas, fresh basil, and finely diced red onion to make this more interesting. I also replaced the fresh tomatoes with oven-roasted tomatoes. Delicious.
Zucchini and basil pizzas: I made a simplified (and cheaper) pesto to spread on the crust instead of plain olive oil (olive oil, fresh basil, a bit of fresh parsley, garlic, toasted walnuts, and salt) and added chicken and thinly-sliced red onion on top.
Zucchini cheese quiche
Zucchini tots: These are addictive!
Zucchini cheddar drop biscuits
Chocolate zucchini bread
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment